Monday, July 5, 2010

No Bones About It The Bone Fish Grill Made My Weekend!



I am not a big fan of food chains in general. While I can appreciate and commend the fact that chains such as Mc Donald's have mastered the ability of consistency and service from Tokyo to Toronto, there is something to be said for the classic renaissance of  family owned food eateries from dives to fine dining.
Tonight I was asked out to eat by my family and we ended up at The Bone Fish Grill in Secaucus. At first I was extremely skeptical. I have eaten in over priced, over cooked, sea food chain places and always found my experience to be disappointing.
I was amazingly surprised at my meal this evening. The waitress was well verses in the menu options. She even warned me that the corn chowder soup had bacon in it. Which in this day and age due to religious beliefs, allergies and dietary differences should be standard but is not in most places. Everything I ate from the Edamame to their Coconut Rum Pie for desert was well prepared and made with fresh ingredients. The food came out on time in an appropriate manner. The entire staff was accommodating and attentive through out the meal.
For starters we ordered their coconut crusted shrimp and edamame from the main menu as well as a fresh ceviche which was a special. The ceviche was light and refreshing. Well prepared with fresh sea food and avocado. The most important feature of the dish was that it was not premixed. Quite often when I have had ceviche if it sits with the onions for too long the taste is muted and over powering. I have to say it was the best I have had thus far in my life and in a few short minutes between my father and I there was nothing left of it. It was served with tortilla chips that were lightly fried and nicely salted. The edemame was well prepared and seasoned. It was just perfectly cooked and we all noshed on it through out the meal. The coconut crusted shrimp was well made. What impressed me more then the shrimp it's self was the mango citrus chutney it was served with that had fresh orange rind in it. It was exquisite. Coupled together it was a nice warm burst of sweet and sour in my mouth. The shrimp was soft and luscious. I complimented my appetizers with a glass of their red sangria. I was so happy to see sangria by the glass. Kudos to the Bone Fish for recognizing that single people like party drinks also! It was well made with a bold fruity flavor and it matched with the Polynesian theme of the ceviche and shrimp.
I ordered their Corn Chowder Soup with lump crab meat. I ate it with the home made table bread. It was rich and filling. Creamy, hearty and flavorful, I can definitely see myself being a fixture at their door during the long cold winters here in New Jersey for this one item alone. Move over soup nazi the Bone Fish has you beat! The soup was well balanced in it's taste with the main ingredients of corn and crab which were salted by the bacon in the cream based potage.
For my entree I had USDA Choice Filet Mignon paired with Jumbo Sea Scallops & Shrimp in a light butter sauce. Their vegetable of the day was zucchini sauteed in a light broth and tomato sauce with onions and parmesan cheese. Not only did I eat my helping of that side dish but my mother's as well. My steak which I ordered medium rare was cooked perfectly. Seasoned well although  I did add a little salt to it from their table grinder, which I found to be a nice touch and a step up from most eateries even at that level of service. The Shrimp and Scallops melted in my mouth. The sauce was tempered properly. Quite often I have had butter sauces that were broken and too salty but this was the antithesis of all my prior chain experience. I ordered their tomato and feta side with my dish. It was a well matched compliment to the meal and acted almost as a salad course. While simplistic in design the level of tomatoes, feta, basil and balsamic vinaigrette were perfectly proportioned and presented beautifully.
I chose fresh brewed ice as well as water for my main meal libations. I prefer clean nonalcoholic drinks for my entrees simply to enjoy the meal as a stand alone. While pairing can be amazing for a lot of eating experiences, when I try a new restaurant I treat it like a first date. I want to get to know the man sober or the chef as it is. Some meals as well as men need a drink to be tolerable. After I have decided to court an eatery, I then I loosen up a bit with the spirits. So look forward to future views of my experiences at The Bone Fish Grill.
I almost didn't have room for desert but that would have been like having great sex with no orgasm. The meal was so good thus far I needed to have their signature Coconut Rum Pie and a nice cup of iced coffee to finish it all off. The pie was topped with fresh whip cream. Which I love and prefer over it's canned step cousin. I am spoiled in the fact that my mother when making whip cream does not use Cream of Tartar as a stabilizer. While most people wouldn't taste this small additive, I do. If I had to pick one thing I would change about the meal it would be to leave that additive out of the whipped cream. I am also a realist. Home made whip cream takes time to make and for cost effective purposes and prep work a little Potassium bitartrate isn't going to kill me. The pie it's self was like heaven, the mixture of coconut to custard ratio was lovely. There was a caramel rum sauce drizzled over it that could easily be the bane of any diabetic or alcoholic. It was sweet but not over powering because you could taste the rum in the sauce. So together with the pie and the whipped cream I almost felt as if I was committing a mortal sin by devouring it. But of course that didn't stop me!
At the end of the meal I was so happy about my over all experience with the service I asked to speak with David Webster the owner and general manager of the restaurant. Yes I said owner for all of you not really paying attention. Apparently the Bone Fish Grill's success in making a chain feel like a family restaurant is to have each location individually owned as well as managed by said prioritior. David is truly invested in his establishment and it shows through the dedication and professionalism of the staff as well as the quality of the food. It was the best sea food I have had in and out side of family cooked meals since my childhood.
Bravo to Mr. Webster and his team in Secaucus! I thank you for a truly memorable meal, which I am sure won't be my last with your eatery.

No comments:

Post a Comment